Car Accident Lawyer Northridge, CA
If you have been involved in a California car accident caused by a negligent driver, there is a strong likelihood you have suffered some type of injury. Even a minor fender bender can leave a victim with injuries serious enough to interfere with their daily activities. Victims of car crashes should contact a car accident lawyer Northridge, CA families trust to find out what their legal options may be for financial compensation their injuries have caused them.
Common Car Accident Injuries
While any part of the body is at risk of injury in a crash, there are certain types of injuries that are more common than others. Areas that are more vulnerable include the neck, back, and shoulder areas.
Each Northridge, CA car accident lawyer from Barry P. Goldberg has extensive experience handling cases where victims had suffered the following back and neck injuries:
- Disc injury: If part of the spinal cord is jolted out of place, discs and nerves in the back or neck can become injured or irritated.
- Spinal cord injury: Any injury to the back or neck can cause damage to the victim’s spinal cord, especially if any of the vertebrae were moved in the crash. Any damage to nerves in the area can result in either partial or complete paralysis. In severe cases, the injuries can be fatal.
- Sprain or strain: While a sprain may sound like a minor injury, a victim who has suffered a sprain or strain to the neck or back can attest to just how painful this type of injury is.
- Whiplash: This type of injury occurs when the victim’s neck is jerked quickly forward and back, injuring ligaments, muscles, and nerves. Symptoms include neck pain and numbness or tingling in the neck and arms.
Shoulder injuries are also common in car accidents, particularly because of the way a victim may be thrown into the dashboard or side of the vehicle. Some of the more common types of shoulder injuries include:
- Dislocated shoulder: The force of a crash can cause the ball and socket of the arm and shoulder to become separated from one another, causing weakness, numbness, and muscle spasms.
Rotator cuff tear: The rotator cuff is made up of tendons and muscles that surround the shoulder joint. When these are torn from an injury, victims usually suffer from weakness in the arm, tenderness, limited movement, and pain that ranges from a dull ache to severe pain. Another rotator cuff condition that a car accident victim can also suffer rotator cuff tendinitis.
- SLAP tear: Another common crash injury occurs when there is a tear to the bicep tendon that attaches to the cartilage at the end of the arm. Victims usually suffer pain when moving or lifting the arm, decrease in range of motion, instability, and popping noises or grinding sensation.
Have You Been in a Crash? Call a Northbridge, CA Car Accident Lawyer
A car accident lawyer Northridge, CA relies on knows that when you have been in a car accident as a result of someone else’s negligence, you may be wondering if you should speak with their insurance agent. This can be a tricky situation because normally if you have been in a car accident, you will want to notify your insurance as soon as possible. However, you may be asking: are you required to speak with the other driver’s insurance? The answer to this is no. The other driver’s insurance agent will not be thinking about your best interests and will likely be trying to get information out of you that could harm your claim.
What should I do if they call?
We understand that having their insurance agent contact you can throw you off. You are likely trying to move on from the accident as quickly as possible, get any damage done to your car fixed, and recover from your injuries. However, getting a call from the other driver’s insurance agent may throw you off so much you answer the call and speak with them. This can be incredibly risky because you may hurt your chances of recovering a fair amount for your claim. Our Northridge, California car accident lawyer has tips for you to follow.
- One of the first things you should do is get the name and contact information of the agent speaking with you. This will be very important for when you speak with your attorney.
- Do not overshare your information. You can give them as little as you need to (your name and contact information). They may insinuate that you are required to offer your insurance company’s information or details of the accident and this is not true.
- Let them know that you or your attorney will be contacting them in the future. You do not want them to continue calling you back to try and get more information out of you.
- Remember, while you may be required to speak with your insurance company after a car accident, you are not legally required to speak with an agent from anyone else’s company. You are free to politely end the call and speak with your attorney about the conversation.
If you would like to learn more about speaking with insurance agents or what you should do when an insurance agent contacts you after an accident, call the car accident lawyer in Northridge, California you can rely on from Barry P. Goldberg.
How to Recover from a Car Accident
If you have been injured in a car accident, it is important to take extra good care of yourself so that you get back on your feet faster. Here are a few helpful tips to follow.
- Follow Your Doctor’s Orders: After a doctor diagnoses your injury, he or she will recommend the appropriate treatment plan. Whether your doctor suggests physical therapy or bedrest, you should follow his or her advice. If you don’t, you could put your health in jeopardy. If you are filing an accident claim with the assistance of a car accident lawyer in Northridge, CA, you could lose your case if the insurance company finds out that you have not been following your doctor’s instructions.
- Take It Easy: While you are probably eager to get back to your normal routine, it’s critical to take things easy. If you push yourself too fast, you could prolong your recovery. Take the necessary time off, reduce your physical activities and get plenty of sleep at night. If you feel tired during the day, don’t hesitate to take a nap.
- Consider Massage Therapy: As a car accident lawyer in Northbridge, CA can confirm, more and more car accidents victims are turning to massage therapy. A physical therapist can give you a massage that reduces muscle spasms, improves range of motion and promotes blood flow. However, understand that this won’t feel the type of massage you may receive at a spa. It will not be as relaxing and will apply more pressure.
- Eat a Nutritious Diet: When you are recovering from a car accident, it is more important than ever to nourish your body with healthy foods. Fill your diet with fruits, vegetables, whole grains, chicken and fish. These foods are filled with nutrients that will help your body recover faster. Try to stay away from junk foods, as they have little nutritional value and can make you gain weight.
- Drink Plenty of Water: After you suffer an injury from a car accident, your body dehydrates quicker. That is why it is extra important to drink at least eight glasses of water each during your recovery. If you get bored drinking plain old water all the time, try adding lemon or lime to it.
- Stretch: Once you have finished the bed rest portion of your recovery, your doctor may advise you to perform gentle stretches at home to improve your flexibility and range of motion. Start slow and stop what you’re doing if you feel any sort of pain. Ask your doctor about the type of stretches you should do.
Call the car accident lawyer in Northridge, California you can rely on from Barry P. Goldberg.