If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident in the San Fernando Valley, your health should be your main priority. Some injuries can go undetected, but lead to major inconveniences down the road. Others are more apparent and require immediate medical assistance. Either way, an experienced healthcare professional will be able to guide you down the path that is right for you.
In California, if your injuries were caused by another driver’s negligence, you have the legal right to file a personal injury claim against the individual and seek compensation for your injuries. By showing that the at-fault party was somehow careless or reckless (such as by texting and driving, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, etc…), you can hold the defendant liable for all of your motorcycle accident-related losses.
Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident
- Call the Proper Authorities. As we stated above, the first thing you need to be concerned about is your health. If you are not able to call 911, have the other party or a witness call for you.
- Record Valuable Information. If the police show up at the scene of the accident, they will hopefully record all relevant information. However, it is never a bad idea to collect the information yourself. Write down the make, model and license plate numbers of all vehicles involved. Take pictures of the other car(s) and the scene of the accident. Ask any witnesses to provide you with their name and contact information.
- Keep a Copy of Your Health Records. You will want to have documentation of all medical procedures, drugs prescribed, etc… This information will be extremely useful when determining the financial value of your injuries.
- Report the Accident to Your Insurance Company. Remember, however, that the insurance companies are generally not on your side — even your own insurance provider. Discuss any settlement offers with an attorney before accepting a deal.
- Contact an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Lawyer. The right accident lawyer will walk you through the process of filing a personal injury claim and ensure that you receive the financial compensation your injuries deserve.
For more information on what you can expect after getting involved in a motorcycle accident, or to discuss your potential for financial recovery if you were injured in an accident, contact attorney Barry P. Goldberg today for a free, no-obligation consultation.