Truck Accident Lawyer Woodland Hills, CA
If you suffered traumatic injuries or someone you love was killed in a truck accident in the greater Los Angeles area, it is critical that you assert your right to just compensation with the help of a truck accident lawyer Woodland Hills, CA trusts. The financial losses from a severe injury or a family member’s death can be devastating, and these could just be the start of your personal injury or wrongful death claim.
If you research truck accident statistics online, you will notice a startling trend. While the statistics for other types of accidents focus on injuries, when it comes to truck accidents, most official data sources focus on fatalities.
Truck accidents account for a severely disproportionate number of roadway deaths. While this is unsurprising when you consider the extreme size, weight, and complexity of large commercial vehicles, it is no less tragic for the families who lose loved ones under circumstances in which someone else is to blame. For those who survive truck accidents, life is rarely the same. Debilitating pain, inability to work, scarring and disfigurement, emotional trauma – these are just some of the life-changing consequences that tend to follow traumatic truck accidents.
At Barry P. Goldberg, A Professional Law Corporation, we understand what life is like for truck accident victims and their families. For more than three decades, Woodland Hills, CA truck accident lawyer, Barry P. Goldberg has been fighting to obtain justice for those who have been physically, emotionally, and psychologically harmed. We bring the full weight of our experience and resources to bear in every case we handle, and we do not let anything stand in the way of securing the financial compensation that our clients deserve.
“After several horrible experiences with lawyers in the past, I was convinced the only thing worse than a lawyer [was] a politician. I was overjoyed with the entire experience and professionalism of Mr. Goldberg. He and his staff exceeded all my expectations. He fought for me and treated me with respect and dignity. He fought hard for me and got the best possible settlement. I would rate him 6 stars out of 5.”
Common Factors in Southern California Truck Accidents
When you picture a truck driver, what do you see? Do you see a trained professional? Or, do you see someone who is tired, distracted, and disconnected from the world around them? What about a large commercial truck – do you see a well-oiled machine? Or, do you see an overly complex and poorly maintained hazard in waiting?
In reality, truckers and large commercial trucks are a combination of both. While some truck drivers make safety a priority, others do not. But, even the safest drivers make mistakes. Likewise, some trucks are better-maintained than others, but defects, loading errors, and other issues can all present extreme dangers for other motorists and passengers on the road.
From human errors to mechanical malfunctions, there are countless factors that can lead to serious and fatal truck accidents. When we investigate truck accidents on behalf of victims and their families, we look for evidence of:
- Talking on the phone or texting behind the wheel
- Watching movies or videos, using social media, and giving in to other distractions
- Truck driver fatigue due to spending too many hours behind the wheel (truck drivers’ hours are limited by federal law)
- Lack of truck driver training or experience
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs, prescription medications, or over-the-counter sleeping pills
- Truck driving errors like speeding, tailgating, failing to check blind spots, and ignoring traffic signals
- Negligent truck maintenance
- Defects in tires, brakes, lights, cargo straps, and other truck and trailer components
- Cargo loading errors like exceeding a truck’s weight rating, failing to adequately secure cargo, and creating unbalanced loads
- Non-truck-related factors like defective road surfaces, visual obstructions, and other drivers’ mistakes
By focusing on uncovering all of the causal factors involved in the accident, we are able to maximize our clients’ recoveries while ensuring that each of the responsible parties is held legally accountable.
Southern California Truck Accident FAQs
Is the trucking company liable if a truck driver is drunk, distracted, or fatigued behind the wheel?
Frequently, yes. As a general principle of California law, employers can be held legally responsible for their employees’ actions undertaken within the scope of employment. Trucking companies can also be held directly liable for negligent acts such as hiring untrained drivers and forcing drivers to log too many hours between rests.
How do I find out if a truck driver was distracted or a truck’s brakes were defective?
After a truck accident, conducting a prompt investigation is critical. If the evidence at the scene suggests that distracted driving or a defect may have played a role in the accident, we can subpoena the driver’s phone records, have an engineering expert inspect the vehicle, and use other means to secure proof of what happened.
What is California’s statute of limitations for truck accident claims?
In most cases, the statute of limitations is two years from the date of the accident. However, there are some exceptions (for example, there is a much shorter notice period for accidents involving government vehicles), and once again it is critical to investigate right away. If you were injured or a loved one was killed in a truck accident, we urge you to contact us for a free consultation.
Is it expensive to pursue a truck accident claim?
At Barry P. Goldberg, A Professional Law Corporation, we handle all claims on a contingency-fee basis. This means that you do not pay any legal fees or costs while your case is pending. If we win your case, we recoup the costs and collect our fee as a percentage of your compensation award. If we happen to lose, you owe us nothing.
Do the same laws apply to tractor trailers and other types of commercial trucks?
Generally speaking, yes. If you or a loved one was involved in an accident with any type of commercial truck, the same theories of liability apply, and you are entitled to the same types and amount of financial compensation. This is true for accidents involving:
- Box trucks
- Cement trucks
- Flatbed trucks
- Moving trucks
- Semi trucks
- Tractor trailers
- Tanker trucks
- Tow trucks
- Utility trucks
- Other commercial vehicles
How will I know when it is time to settle my case?
Knowing when to settle requires a clear understanding of all of the relevant factors involved in your case. How strong is the evidence in your favor? Is there a possible argument that you or your loved one played a role in causing the accident? How great are your losses? How much more do you stand to lose in the future? Could you expect to win more if you take your case to trial?
These are all difficult questions. If we receive a settlement offer in your case, our Woodland Hills, CA truck accident lawyers will help you carefully weigh your options so that you can make an informed decision about whether to settle or keep fighting for more.
Experience the Difference of Client-First Representation
At Barry P. Goldberg, A Professional Law Corporation, we believe in client-first representation. It is your case, and we want to make sure that you feel confident and satisfied every step of the way. When you choose our firm for your Southern California truck accident case, you can expect:
- Peace of Mind – With Woodland Hills, CA truck accident lawyer, Barry P. Goldberg, and his experienced legal team on your side, you can have peace of mind that everything possible is being done to help you recover maximum compensation.
- No-Hassle Representation – From dealing with insurance companies on the phone to filing claim forms on your behalf, we shoulder the entire burden of your personal injury or wrongful death claim. While you will need to be involved at certain steps along the way, we make sure the process is as hassle-free as possible so that you can focus on restoring your normal life.
- Accuracy, Thoroughness, and Attention to Detail – With more than 30 years’ experience, we know that the details matter. When dealing with the insurance companies and defense lawyers, we meticulously prepare our facts and legal arguments so that we are in the strongest possible position to argue for a high-value settlement or a favorable verdict at trial.
- Service that Goes Above and Beyond – In most truck accident cases, victims and their families will be burdened with insurmountable medical bills. These bills pile up while your case is pending; and, while healthcare providers and health insurers may agree to delay payment, they will eventually be looking to collect. Even though this comes after your case is over, Mr. Goldberg will still fight to minimize your liability. It is also not uncommon for our clients to receive additional money months after other firms would have given up the fight.
“Barry Goldberg is a Rockstar. I was referred to him when I was in an accident that was not my fault, and I had a serious injury. Little did I know that it would be a 3-year process in getting the other party’s insurance to compensate me. My case ended up having many complexities, but Barry navigated them perfectly, and I trusted him throughout the entire process….and wow, is it a process. Don’t try to do this alone, insurance companies are ruthless. Barry settled my case, and got me the compensation I deserved. My accident is a horrible memory, but I’m now able to put it behind me, thanks to Barry.”
If you would like to speak with Mr. Goldberg about filing a personal injury or wrongful death claim, contact our truck accident lawyer Woodland Hills, CA trusts to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. We are available 24/7, so call (818) 222-6994 or tell us about the accident online now.